The Computing Core provides resources and technical support to affiliates, staff, and demography students. Our goal is to provide secure, stable, and cost-effective computing as well as a cutting-edge, responsive environment for researchers at the frontiers of population research.
- Windows Terminal Servers
- General Purpose UNIX systems
- High Performance Windows Cluster
- High Performance Linux Cluster
- Laptop and projector reservations and check-out
All CSDE-affiliated faculty and students are eligible for the following services from the Core, free of charge:
- Windows network account giving access to Terminal Servers and our Raitt Hall computer lab
- Secure, backed-up personal home directory on a central file server
- Secure, backed-up project file storage for collaborative research or coursework
- Help with general computing questions (as staff time permits)
The Core provides consulting services to faculty affiliates, CSDE fellows, graduate students in affiliated departments, and others working on CSDE affiliated projects. Consulting topics and services include:
- Training for new affiliates and research assistants
- Assistance in writing grants with computing infrastructure needs
- Specifying and purchasing equipment and software
- Startup consulting in CSDE’s computing environments, including computing clusters
High Performance Computing:
In support of the most computationally intensive research, the Core hosts clusters for the Social Sciences. Membership is granted to all CSDE faculty affiliates. Non-affiliates and research assistants may participate in the co-op by way of either a contribution of hardware or funds to support and extend the cluster. Contact us for further details.
The Core offers hosting for grant-funded project servers, web sites, and databases or data repositories, in our secure Thomson Hall server room. We host Windows Terminal Servers for many projects and manage sensitive data sets for others. File backup services for hosted systems are also available. These services are provided for a yearly fee, or by ongoing grant funding support. Contact us for further details.