To apply for Affiliate status, send John Kemner the following:
- Application statement
- NIH biosketch
- Letters of support from two current CSDE Affiliates
The statement and support letters should address your interest in CSDE and qualifications for Affiliate status. Affiliates are expected to have an active program of scholarly research (peer-reviewed publications, externally funded research grants) in the field of population studies (interpreted broadly; examples include research appropriate for demography journals and presentation to the Population Association of America).
Applications are taken on a continuous basis, and reviewed by the Executive Committee which meets quarterly during the academic year. The Executive Committee will meet in October and again in December during Fall quarter 2017.
UW Visiting Scholars can apply to become CSDE Visiting Affiliates. The application process is nearly identical to that for UW faculty, but only one letter of support from a CSDE Affiliate is required.
As research partners, Affiliates are expected to support CSDE.
Research Affiliates should
- Remain active population scientists (seek extramural grants, publish research in peer-reviewed journals, etc.)
- Be willing to mentor pre-doctoral or postdoctoral trainees
- Timely respond to CSDE staff during reporting periods (annual progress reports, submission of publications into PubMed Central Database, competing renewals for T32 or infrastructure grants, and other center-based grant initiatives)
- Acknowledge CSDE support on publications, conference papers, and posters that used core services in any way or included work with a CSDE Trainee
Research Affiliates are encouraged to
- Share their research (e.g., present at a CSDE Seminar) and its impact
- Regularly attend CSDE events
- Propose events and invite outside expert population scientists to UW
- Develop and teach a population science course in their field
- Collaborate on population science projects with CSDE staff and Affiliates
- Contribute ideas and research to CSDE’s five primary research areas
- Consider running their grant through CSDE
- Identify other population science scholars who might benefit from CSDE affiliation
- Serve on one of our governing committees or serve as a chair of a PRA
Near the end of each five-year funding cycle (currently June 2017), Affiliates can reapply for continued status by submitting the research and funding materials required for the center grant proposal.