Alvord Fellowship in the Humanities 2020-21 – Call for Nominations
Posted: 1/27/2020 (Funding)
Departmental nominations for the Alvord Graduate Fellowship in the Humanities has started. This endowed fellowship was established through the generous gift of Ellsworth and Nancy Alvord and matched by State funds. The terms of the Alvord Endowment specify that selection must be based on academic merit, with secondary consideration of financial need, from among graduate student in any humanities discipline*.
Every effort will be made to assure diversity among the disciplines represented by the recipients, and priority will be given to those nominees whose scholarly and research interests cross disciplinary lines. The competition is open to any student who has completed the M. A. degree, or equivalent in programs with no required degree preceding the Ph.D.
This year we will be able to award one $25,000 fellowship (includes GSA benefits) for 2020-21, effective September 16, 2020 – June 15, 2021. In addition, the Graduate School has again generously committed to providing a tuition waiver for the Alvord Fellow. See the attached call for proposal document for more details.
Each department is limited to ONE nomination. A nomination packet must include:
- A completed nomination form (attached and available at CAS Administrative Gateway)
- A letter of nomination from the department chair or dissertation chair
- An additional faculty letter of recommendation
- The candidate’s brief (no more than 1,000 words) statement describing their research project(s) and how this research will contribute to their respective field or fields
- Curriculum Vitae
- Current transcript (need not be sealed, copy generated from MyUW is fine)
Please email your nomination as a single pdf file to Barbara Mack, firstname.lastname@example.org by 8:00 AM on March 16, 2020. We hope to announce the results by May, after review by a faculty committee.