Assistant/Associate Professor, Sociology/Anthropology
Posted: 10/12/2018 (Employment)
The Department of Social Sciences in the School of Arts and Sciences at the Lebanese American University invites applicants for a tenure-track faculty position at the rank of Assistant/Associate Professor in Sociology/Anthropology. The department is seeking a highly qualified and motivated full-time faculty member who is committed to innovative teaching, research, academic advising and institutional and community service.
- Teach undergraduate and graduate courses in a Minor Program in Sociology and an MA Program in Migration Studies, and in research methodology with emphasis on quantitative or qualitative methods.
- Advise and mentor students
- Supervise MA students in Migration Studies
- Engage in service to the department, the university and the profession
- Contribute to the development of the Sociology program and the MA Program in Migration Studies
- Additional duties may be set by the department in light of departmental needs and priorities.
- A PhD in Sociology/Anthropology from a well-recognized University, preferably with a focus on Migration Studies.
- Background in quantitative and/or qualitative research methods
- Evidence of a research record, including research in the field of Migration Studies.
- Evidence of an effective teaching experience in the field of Migration Studies
- Ability to secure external funding
The department offers four Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) programs in political science, political science/international affairs, psychology, and social work; two Master of Arts (M.A.) programs in International Affairs and Migration studies; and five minors in conflict analysis and resolution, legal studies, political science/international affairs, psychology, and sociology. The Department of Social Sciences consists of 15 full-time faculty members and a number of part-time faculty members. The Department of is dedicated to excellence in teaching and research, and is committed to student-centeredness and to serving the community.
The Lebanese American University is an Equal Opportunity Employer operating in Lebanon under a charter from the Regents of the State University of New York. Information about the University can be found at http://www.lau.edu.lb.
Prospective candidates should apply electronically by sending a letter of interest including a statement of teaching, research interests, as well as professional and creative projects, an updated CV, and unofficial transcripts by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. The CV should include the names, e-mails and phone numbers of three references. The university reserves the right to contact additional references with notice given to the candidates at an appropriate time in the process. Candidates must refer to position no. AS-18-30, in the subject line of the email.
Location: Lebanese American University in Lebanon