Assistant Professor of Geography
Posted: 2/6/2018 (Employment)
The Department of Geography at South Dakota State University seeks applications for a tenure-track position with a specialization in Physical Geography at the rank of Assistant Professor to begin August 22, 2018. This is a 9-month, full-time, benefit eligible position. The Department of Geography offers BS degrees in Geography and GISc, an MS in Geography, and faculty supervision of PhD students in the Geospatial Science program.
SDSU is especially interested in candidates that can contribute to and/or coordinate course offerings that address the experiences of underrepresented minorities in organizations. Women, minorities, veterans, and people with disabilities are especially encouraged to apply.
- PhD in Geography, or closely related field, by first day of employment;
- Ability to develop the department’s Physical Geography program and effectively teach the program’s undergraduate and graduate courses;
- Ability to teach introductory physical geography and in the candidate’s area of specialization;
- Ability to undertake collaborative research within the department and university;
- Ability to engage in Physical Geography at the national level;
- Ability to publish the results of original research in peer-reviewed journals, and develop an independent, externally-funded research program;
- Ability to use technology in managing and delivering educational programs;
- Effective written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to develop a field techniques course;
- Interest in helping to develop an Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) course and/or integrate Geographic Information Sciences into teaching and research.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Position is open until filled with full consideration given to applications received by March 5, 2018
SDSU accepts applications through an on-line employment site. To apply, visit: https://yourfuture.sdbor.edu, search by the position title, view the job announcement, and click on “apply for this posting.” The system will guide you through the electronic application form. The employment site will also require the attachment of a cover letter, which should specifically address how the candidate meets the qualifications as outlined in the advertisement, Curriculum Vitae, and a reference page with the contact information for three professional references. Email applications will not be accepted. SDSU is especially interested in candidates that can contribute to and/or coordinate course offerings that address the experiences of underrepresented minorities in organizations. Please contact SDSU Human Resources at (605) 688-4128 if you require assistance with this process.
For questions on the positions, contact the Search Chair, Dr. Jamie Spinney at 605-688-5509 or Jamie.Spinney@sdstate.edu.
Location: South Dakota State University