Posted: 2/15/2019 (Funding)
Subject: USF International Fellowships: Apply Now!
Dear all—please circulate our call for applications for an International Fellowship funded by the Urban Studies Foundation (for early to mid-career urban scholars from the Global South).
Deadline: 7th May 2019.
INTERNATIONAL FELLOWSHIP—CALL FOR APPLICATIONS
Applications are invited for an International Fellowship for early to mid-career urban scholars from the Global South, on any theme pertinent to a better understanding of urban realities in the Global South. The Fellowship covers the costs of a sabbatical period at a university of the candidate’s choice in the Global North or South for the purpose of writing up the candidate’s existing research findings in the form of publishable articles or a book under the guidance of a chosen mentor in their field of study. Funding is available for a period ranging between 3-9 months.
Applicants must be early to mid-career urban scholars with a PhD obtained within the preceding 10 years who currently work in a university or other research institution within the Global South. Candidates must also be nationals of a country in the Global South, defined here as countries on the OECD’s current ODA recipient list (2018-2020). Preference may be given to candidates from least or low-income countries but middle-income countries are not excluded if the need for support is justified.
The candidate must make suitable arrangements to be mentored by a suitably experienced senior urban scholar at the candidate’s chosen research institution. Further particulars are available to download here. An application form can be downloaded here.
The financial support attached to the fellowship will meet accommodation and subsistence needs while staying at the host university, return (economy class) air fare, and assistance towards research costs (including any fees or other costs of being a visiting fellow at the institution). There is also a small budget available for the mentor to assist the Fellow to meet their intended research aims should this be appropriate.
Application forms are available here. Completed applications must be submitted electronically to USF Director of Operations, Joe Shaw (firstname.lastname@example.org), no later than 7th May 2019.
The application must include:
- an outline of the planned research, demonstrating its originality, rigour and value to the field of urban studies [1200 words max.]
- a statement of the intended research outputs (e.g. articles [specify target journals], a monograph, etc.) [300 words max.]
- designation of the northern or southern institution where the fellowship will be pursued and reasons for its selection [300 words max.]
- the name of the urban scholar at that institution willing to act as mentor to the fellow during the fellowship, and a statement of how their expertise will support and facilitate the proposed research
- draft budget listing main cost items
- a 3-page CV listing academic achievements and publications
- a letter from the prospective mentor stating their willingness to act as a mentor to the fellow and indicating the suitability of the host institution for the proposed sabbatical study
- a short CV from the mentor (3 pages maximum), preferably including any previous mentoring experience if applicable.
- the names and contact details of two academic referees.
PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL — INBOX NOT MONITORED
Please contact Joe Shaw (email@example.com) for more information.
Location: Urban Studies Foundation