Lecturer – Master’s Program in Social Service Administration
Posted: 3/5/2018 (Employment)
The School of Social Service Administration at the University of Chicago seeks to hire full-time Lecturers to teach master’s level students in our accredited school of social work. These are full-time nine-month appointments that report to the Deputy Dean for Curriculum. We seek individuals with a history of outstanding teaching and a deep commitment to student development and learning.
- teach courses in the master’s program at the SSA,
- advise master’s students and student organizations,
- participate in committees of the School,
- help prepare new part-time lecturers for teaching in the School.
Lecturers should be prepared to teach in one or more of the following areas:
- the beginning sequence of direct practice courses in a social work curriculum,
- advanced clinical practice courses, specifically those that can contribute in the areas of family systems, cognitive and behavioral treatments including third wave behavioral interventions, and psychodynamic practice.
- policy courses, including beginning policy courses in our core curriculum, health policy, disability policy, aging policy or education policy.
- material related to understanding and interrupting oppression, discrimination, and racism.
The lecturer will possess:
- a history of innovative and effective teaching in a graduate or professional school
- a demonstrated commitment to students and their professional development, and
- a Ph.D. in social work, social policy or related discipline, or a history of prior outstanding teaching at SSA as a part-time lecturer.
As described herein, the position is included in a bargaining unit of unionized part-time and full-time lecturers represented by the Service Employees International Union.
This is a full-time, benefits eligible, non-tenure track teaching appointment. Lecturers at the School of Social Service Administration are expected to devote 100% effort to the School of Social Service Administration and sign a letter of commitment to the University that limits the number of hours the lecturer can work outside the university during the fall, winter and spring academic terms.
The School of Social Service Administration builds upon a legacy of more than a century of scholarship, education and leadership in social work and social welfare, mixing a distinctive interdisciplinary tradition with applied problem solving to foster innovative solutions to some of society’s most pressing social problems. For more information about SSA, please visit our website at: http://www.ssa.uchicago.edu.
Applicants should submit a cover letter that includes fit with SSA, the position and teaching interests, curriculum vita or resumé, documentation of teaching excellence (syllabi, course evaluations); and the names of at least two references. The deadline for submission of all required application materials is April 30, 2018.
Please apply online at the Academic Career Opportunities web page at the University of Chicago website using the following link:
https://academiccareers.uchicago.edu/applicants/jsp/shared/Welcome_css.jsp . Please search for number 03653.
Location: University of Chicago