NSF Issues Dear Colleagues Letter With Call for COVID-19 Non-medical Research
Posted: 3/17/2020 (Employment)
NSF is accepting proposals to conduct non-medical, non-clinical care research that can be used immediately to explore how to model and understand the spread of COVID-19. The call for proposals (NSF 20-052) is fairly broad. The call asks for proposals for understanding how to model and understand the spread of COVID-19, to inform and educate about the science of virus transmission and prevention, and to encourage the development of processes and actions to address this global challenge. We have many CSDE affiliates that might have a lot to offer and propose from models that address social network modeling to communication and disinformation, health disparities, public health administration, or emergency preparedness. If CSDE can be helpful, we are happy to do so. Don’t hesitate to contact us via email (Sara Curran firstname.lastname@example.org or Scott Kelly email@example.com) or submit a plan for submitting a grant through CSDE’s online proposal planning notification.
NSF has also developed a collection of Coronavirus resources relevant to NSF funded research.
Some key takeaways:
· Guidance for Major Facilities & Contracts Regarding COVID-19: For questions about allowable costs or other performance/operational issues related to COVID‐19, please contact the Program Officer (PO) and Grants and Agreements Officer (G/AO) or the Contracting Officer Representative (COR and Contracting Officer (CO). Please copy COVID19_DACS@nsf.gov.
· Proposal Review: NSF continues to accept proposals and deadlines and target dates remain the same. NSF is using ad hoc virtual review panels.
· Award oversight: NSF continues its oversight. If site visits are involved, NSF will make alternative arrangements.
· Meetings funded by NSF grants: Consider holding meetings virtually or reschedule. Attendees: Consult with meeting organizers ahead of time.
· Coronavirus related research: See NSF 20-052 for NSF’s interest in proposals for rapid-response
· FAQs for Proposers and Awardees: Information on extensions on projects impacted by COVID-19, travel, exchange of researchers, extension of proposals deadline for those directly impacted (e.g. quarantine).
· Proposal Deadline Extension: Within its FAQs, NSF refers to Section I.F, which includes steps to receive an exception.
o Refer to Section I.F should you wish to request a dispensation from the NSF proposal deadline.