NSF/SBE: Human Networks and Data Science – Infrastructure (HNDS-I)
Posted: 11/11/2019 (Funding)
The Directorate for Social, Behavioral and Economic Sciences (SBE) seeks to develop user-friendly large-scale next-generation data resources and relevant analytic techniques to advance fundamental research in SBE areas of study. Successful proposals will, within the financial resources provided by the award, construct such databases and/or relevant analytic techniques and produce a finished product that will enable new types of data-intensive research. The databases or techniques should have significant impacts, either across multiple fields or within broad disciplinary areas, by enabling new types of data-intensive research in the SBE sciences.
Human Networks and Data Science (HNDS) is a two-track program. It supports research and infrastructure that uses data science to advance understanding of a full range of human networks. HNDS research will identify ways in which dynamic, distributed, and heterogeneous data can provide novel answers to fundamental questions about individual and group behavior. HNDS is especially interested in proposals that leverage data-rich insights about human networks to support improved health, prosperity, and security.
HNDS has two components:
- Human Networks and Data Science – Infrastructure (HNDS-I). Development of data resources and relevant analytic techniques that support fundamental SBE research in the context of human networks. For FY 2020, this research is funded through this solicitation, which replaces the previous Resource Implementations for Data Intensive Research in the Social, Behavioral and Economic Sciences (RIDIR) solicitation.
- Human Networks and Data Science – Core Research (HNDS-R). Core research proposals use data science to generate novel understandings of human networks – particularly understandings that can improve the outcomes of significant societal opportunities and challenges. HNDS encourages core research proposals that make innovative use of HNDS infrastructure (formerly RIDIR).
The HNDS – Infrastructure solicitation is currently accepting proposals. A subsequent funding announcement for HNDS Core Research will be released in 2020, pending availability of funding.
Deadline: February 24, 2020
Please note that the following information is current at the time of publishing. See program website for any updates to the points of contact.
- John E. Yellen, telephone: (703) 292-8759, email: email@example.com
- Joseph M. Whitmeyer, telephone: (703) 292-7808, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applicable Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance (CFDA) Number(s):
- 47.075 — Social Behavioral and Economic Sciences