Professor in Design and Social Inquiry
Posted: 5/2/2017 (Employment)
The Professor in Design and Social Inquiry will play a leadership role in formulating new approaches to design practice and will help the university to develop new forms of social inquiry through design practice. Her or his work should be informed by social and political inquiry while also being keenly attuned to emergent trends in science and technology. Thus, this interdisciplinary position is conceived to cross all schools and colleges of the university, including, Parsons School of Design, Eugene Lang College of Liberal Arts, The New School for Social Research, the Schools of Public Engagement, and the College of Performing Arts.
Qualified applicants will demonstrate an exceptional record of design achievement as well as an ability to work effectively across such fields of social research as philosophy, anthropology, politics and policy. The New School has an historical commitment to experimental pedagogy and research, and applicants must show evidence of non-traditional approaches to teaching and creative practice as well as a track record of collaboration across disciplinary boundaries in teaching and/or research. Candidates will be expected to be able to teach at the undergraduate and graduate level and to create new types of courses that appeal to students from across the university’s colleges and schools.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A Ph.D. or MFA (or equivalent standing) in a relevant field
- An international reputation for design leadership in education and/or practice
- A commitment to curricular innovation and experience with its implementation
- A demonstrated record of leadership in cross-disciplinary, studio-based projects or research experience
- A record of publication in theory and criticism in a design field
- Experience in teaching in or running a program at the graduate level
- A track record for developing successful collaborative opportunities with industry partners, non-profit organizations, and other external entities
Applicants for faculty positions must apply on-line using the streamlined faculty application on The New School human resources website http://careers.newschool.edu. Applicants may be contacted at the discretion of the search committee for additional materials.
Location: The New School