Research Data Manager and Analyst, Health Services R&D
Posted: 10/2/2018 ()
As a Data Manager and Analyst, you will work with multidisciplinary research teams on projects focused on integrating evidence-based care for unhealthy alcohol and other substance use into medical settings using large and complex healthcare databases. This position is based within the Health Services R&D program at VA Puget Sound in Seattle, WA.
Responsibilities include providing advanced data management support as well as performing advanced statistical analyses for multiple health services research projects of varying scope and complexity related to substance use under the supervision of Principal Investigators.
• Query and extract large datasets from VA electronic medical records using relational database tools.
• Manage data architecture for study data and integrate data from multiple electronic file sources
• Clean and cross-check data for preparation of analytical files.
• Maintain secure “crosswalk” files.
• Maintain comprehensive data dictionaries.
• Uphold data security regulations and maintain compliance with human subject approvals.
• Quickly and accurately create aggregate clinic performance reports.
• Perform advanced statistical analyses drawing on methods across fields including health services, econometrics, biostatistics, and data science.
• Present statistical models and empirical results to the investigative teams in a clear manner
• Prepare statistical and scientific reports and work with investigative teams to publish the findings in peer-reviewed journals; potential to be first author on manuscripts, though not required.
• Collaborate with and maintain good communication with investigative teams and other scientific staff, including clinicians, researchers, and study staff.
Candidates must have a masters-level or equivalent degree in health services, biostatistics, statistics, economics, psychology, applied mathematics or a closely related field. The applicant must be proficient in SQL and standard statistical software packages, such as Stata, R or SAS. Excellent written and spoken communication skills are necessary, as is the ability to work effectively in a team setting.
The ideal candidate is excited about using diverse sources of data to contribute to improving the quality of care for unhealthy substance use in medical settings, especially among vulnerable patient populations and is someone who is responsible and accountable and who has strong problem-solving and communication skills and experience working in multidisciplinary teams with varying backgrounds.
Candidates must be US citizens. Target salary GS-11 $66,386 to GS-12 $79,570 depending on experience, plus benefits. This position will be 50%-100% FTE (20-40 hours/week).
Please send a cover letter and resume using the subject line “HSR&D Data Manager Application” to Madeline.firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Location: US Department of Veterans Affairs Puget Sound