Research Fellowships at Institute for Advanced Study
Posted: 12/5/2017 (Employment)
The Institute for Advanced Study in Toulouse (IAST), France, invites applications for Research Fellowships, from 1st September 2018:
We welcome applications from researchers within a large range of disciplines in the social and behavioral sciences: anthropology, biology, economics, history, law, mathematics, philosophy, political science, psychology and sociology, though motivated applications from outside these disciplines will be given full consideration. Successful applicants will have demonstrated an interest in, and a commitment to, at least one of the other disciplines of IAST.
We seek candidates with a strong research background in their own discipline, but willing and able to develop research projects drawing on IAST’s substantial interdisciplinary resources, including particularly the proximity of strong groups in economics (Toulouse School of Economics, TSE). We are open to a variety of research methods, including theory, field and laboratory experiments, observational field work, and the analysis of large secondary data sets. All research interests relevant to the broad study of human behavior are welcome, but interests close to those already developed at IAST will be given special consideration, including, to cite only a few:
- In history: quantitative economic history (cliometrics), empirical political economy in history, qualitative economic or social history.
- In biology: theoretical models of evolution (applied to family structure, strategic interactions, plasticity, cognition, learning, cultural evolution); related empirical work.
- In anthropology: human biology, life history theory, human development and plasticity, health and infectious disease, aging, demography, host-parasite co-evolution, diet and nutrition, global health, evolutionary medicine and genetics.
- In political science: public opinion and public policies, comparative studies of democratic institutions, democracy and development, experimental political science, studies of networks and their impact of individual and collective action.
- In law: law and economics, corporate governance, criminology.
- In psychology: cognition, the emotions, social trust, gender, group decision-making.
- In sociology: network formation, the impact of networks on social outcomes, sociology of religion.
Active researchers who have or will have completed their PhD after January 2015 and before September 2018. The IAST offers candidates an opportunity to devote themselves full time to their research at the start of their careers. Motivated applications will be considered from candidates whose PhDs were completed in 2014 or earlier; please explain your reasons in your cover letter.
Fellows are provided with office space, computer facilities and a contract for two years, renewable for a third year.
All applications need to be sent through our website before December 31, 2017.
Location: Toulouse, France