Urban@UW, Urbanalytics and the Cascadia Urban Analytics Cooperative are interdisciplinary units at the University of Washington that facilitate urban research and data analytics to improve quality of life, public health and sustainability in cities. Research areas include housing and homelessness, regional transportation systems and environmental justice. The Taskar Center for Accessible Technology is an initiative in the Department of Computer Science and Engineering that is focused on translating novel research and technologies for use by populations with disabilities.
We are looking for a web designer to maintain, edit and trouble-shoot these websites with a variety of content types. The websites are designed in Expression Engine, Github, Jekyll and WordPress. In addition to maintenance, the Web Designer will re-design and migrate portions of the websites, providing technical expertise to carry out design specifications from several program managers. Assisting with content alignment, clear navigation and coordination between the websites may be required as well.
This position will work up to a maximum of 10 hours per week.
Responsibilities may include some or all of the following duties:
• Utilize website building and editing tools to edit the structure and content of the four noted websites.
• Provide website maintenance and updates on a routine and periodic basis.
• Create user-friendly documentation for future users to add and update content.
• Provide troubleshooting support for backend website issues and technical glitches in a timely manner as they arise.
• May provide work on additional websites that are connected to these initiatives.
• Proficient in building and maintaining websites using Github, Expression Engine, Jekyll, WordPress, HTML and CSS.
• Experience troubleshooting frontend and backend website issues.
• Experience developing documentation of technical processes, or demonstrated interest and aptitude in doing so (please submit relevant samples with your resume).
• Experience with full website design, including responsive design and image and video management.
• Understanding of the technical aspects of web design, including accessibility and search engine optimization best practices.
• Demonstrated ability using design and production software, specifically InDesign, Photoshop, and Sketch or other industry standard web design tools.
• Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills that include the ability to work comfortably and professionally with a diverse population.
• Ability to prioritize tasks and projects with minimal supervision.
• Must own a laptop and be comfortable working remotely.