Apply for CSDE’s Demographic Methods Certificate Program by April 1st
Posted: 3/27/2017 (CSDE Research)
The Graduate Training Program of the Center for Studies in Demography and Ecology (CSDE) is accepting applications from students looking to train in demography and qualify for the Graduate Certificate in Demographic Methods. The certificate program is the academic pathway to advanced interdisciplinary training in population science, in addition to discipline-based courses of study.
- Submit applications no later than April 1, 2017 (by 12 PM)
- The application is in the form of an online WebQ survey and requires a UW NetID.
- Register for the autumn quarter Population Proseminar (CSDE 502) and the spring CSDE weekly seminar (CSDE 501), if the required credits have not already been completed.
Recognized and supported by the National Institute of Child Health and Development, the completion of the Certificate Program provides graduate students with credentials as a skilled demographer to position them in academic and applied job markets, and to succeed in research funding competitions. The Program is designed to enhance training beyond the requirements of a graduate degree. It provides a coherent body of study in demography, enhanced mentored research experiences, and the following benefits:
- Access to CSDE’s significant research support services (computing, research consultations, workshops, a biodemography lab and equipment, and more)
- Assistance in matching students with CSDE Faculty Affiliate mentors and potential research collaborators
- Training, research experience, and curriculum to prepare trainees for meeting the evaluative criteria—including all required courses—of the CSDE Fellowship application
- Financial support (when available) for travel to present research at the Annual Meeting of the Population Association of America
The program can be completed in 2 years while concurrently pursuing a graduate degree in any department. Graduate certificates are recorded on your official transcript, and acknowledged with a plaque.
The Certificate Program curriculum consists of five elements:
- Required core courses on the substance and methods of demography
- SOC/CSDE 513: Demography & Ecology (3 credits, 1 quarter)
- SOC/CSDE 533: Demographic Methods (3 credits, 1 quarter)
- A broad array of elective courses in multiple disciplines
- Professional development in the field through a Proseminar and mentoring
- CSDE 502: Population Studies Proseminar (1 credit in Fall quarter & 2 credits in Winter and Spring quarters, for a total of 5 credits)
- The CSDE Weekly Seminar Series, which meets on Fridays 12:30-1:30, and features presentations of current research in demography.
- CSDE 501: 1 credit for 6 quarters, total of 6 credits
- The schedule for 2016-2017 is here.
- Research mentoring
Visit the CSDE Training webpage for more details on the Demographic Methods Graduate Certificate Program.
Questions? Email the Assistant Director of Training, Aimée Dechter.