Call for Submissions: 11th Annual Matilda White Riley Behavioral and Social Sciences Honors
Posted: 2/6/2018 (Conference)
The NIH Office of Behavioral and Social Sciences Research will host the 11th NIH Matilda White Riley Behavioral and Social Sciences Honors on Thursday, May 31, 2018 from 8:00 am to 12 noon E.T. on the NIH main campus in Bethesda, MD (Wilson Hall, building 1). The festival is free and open to the public. Free registration for this event is required. This meeting will not be live webcast. Please register to attend this meeting in person.
The submission period is now open for the Early Stage Investigators (ESI, within 10 years of their terminal degree) paper competition. ESIs are encouraged to submit one article published, or accepted and in-press, between January 1, 2017 and December 31, 2017 that involves original research published in a peer-reviewed journal in which the ESI is the first author. The event’s committee will rank these articles by how well they advance behavioral and social scientific excellence within NIH’s mission to enhance health, lengthen life, and reduce illness and disability. The committee will consider how each paper reflects one or more aspects of Dr. White Riley’s vision of research excellence:
- Advances the conceptualization of health and wellbeing beyond a lack of illness or sole clinical outcome — for example:
- Cognitive, affective and social functioning within a specific environment
- Optimal wellbeing with chronic condition(s)
- Protective biopsychosocial factors associated with health and wellbeing in risky environments
- Illuminates the complex and dynamic interplay among social, behavioral, and/or neurobiological processes at multiple levels.
- Builds theories or methods within the NIH mission to advance health and longevity and to reduce illness and disability.
OBSSR will pay the travel expenses for up to five ESI honorees to present the findings from their accepted paper and participate in a moderated discussion of future research possibilities during the meeting. The submissions deadline is February 16, 2018, 9 a.m. ET.
Paper awardees will be notified by March 23, 2018.
Submissions must include:
- PDF of article with abstract (reprint), or citation and link to article in a peer reviewed journal. If article is in press, submit the PDF of the article with acceptance letter from the peer-reviewed journal.
- Author’s name, title, affiliation—if it differs from what appears in the submitted article.
Send submissions to email@example.com no later than 9 a.m. Eastern time, February 16, 2018. Only one submission per ESI, please.
Time: 8:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Location: Bethesda, MD