Professor Emeritus, Sociology
University of California - Riverside
In the News:
- CSDE Welcomes New Affiliates (7/18/2017)
- How Long is the Working Life Expectancy of MLB Pitchers? David Swanson Estimates (7/21/2018)
- Jo Martins, Fei Guo, and David Swanson Explore Global Population Trends (4/16/2018)
- David Swanson Named to UNM Population Studies Advisory Committee, Invited as Summer at Census Scholar, and Interviewed by Wallet Hub (4/29/2019)
- David Swanson Selected as Featured Author by Population Review (6/29/2019)
- David Swanson Pens Wall Street Journal Opinion on Immigration, the 2020 Census, and Federal Funding (7/17/2019)
Throughout his career, David Swanson has concentrated on applied demography while also keeping up with academic demography. He served on the U. S. Census Bureau’s Scientific Advisory Committee for six years and chaired the group for two years (2004-10, 2009-10). He also has served as Program Organizer for the 2007 and 2010 Applied Demography Conferences; Publications Officer (2001-2) for the Government Statistics Section, American Statistical Association; Chair of the Applied Demography Committee of the Population Association of America (2000-1); Secretary-Treasurer of the Southern Demographic Association (1995-7 and 2003-7); and the editor of Population Research and Policy Review (2004-7). Most recently, David was a member of the Development Committee of the Population Association of America (200813) and its program committee for the 2017 Conference. He also serves as a peer reviewer for the Republic of Georgia’s National Science Agency, the Rustavelli Foundation (2011-current).
David has given hundreds of presentations before professional associations. In addition to his presentations, he has authored or co-authored over 85 refereed journal articles, mainly dealing with demography, especially methods for doing small area estimation and forecasting. He looks forward to continuing population research with CSDE as he retires from his teaching role at UC Riverside.