Call for Contributions: Research Workshop on Demographic Research in the Digital Age
Posted: 1/16/2018 (Conference)
Call for Contributions:
Research workshop on Demographic Research in the Digital Age
Denver (Colorado), United States, 25 April 2018, from 1 to 5 pm.
Organized by the IUSSP Scientific Panel on Big Data and Population Processes, as a side event at the 2018 Annual Meeting of the PAA.
Deadline for submissions: February 15, 2018
The IUSSP Panel on Big Data and Population Processes invites contributions from colleagues interested in Digital Demography. The Panel encourages submissions from researchers who wish to present their work, as well as the attendance of scholars and students interested in broadening their exposure to the topic.
Read the full call for contributions.
Organizing Committee: Emilio Zagheni, Francesco Billari, and Guy Abel
Keynote Speaker: Dennis Feehan: “Estimating Internet Adoption around the World using a Sample of Facebook Users.”
Dennis Feehan will also offer a mini-tutorial on “Getting started with network methods for estimation of demographic quantities.”
This workshop is intended to favor communication and exchange between researchers who study the implications of digital technologies for demographic behavior as well as the applications of new data from digital sources to understand population processes.
Topics that are relevant for the workshop include, but are not limited to:
- Population research with social media data
- Demographic features of online communities or services
- Sentiment analysis associated to demographic events like immigration
- Implications of social media and Internet for demographic behavior
- Nowcasting fertility, mortality or migration with online data
- Understanding population health with social media data
- Methods for extracting information from non-representative samples
- Applications of demographic methods to online populations
- Applications of data for online advertisers to demographic research
Submissions and Registration:
ALL participants who would like to attend the workshop session must register online, both those who would like to present and those who wish only to attend without presenting. There are a limited number of places, which will be allocated on a first come first served basis.
Please note that IUSSP will not be able to provide any travel support. There is no fee to attend the workshop, but participants are expected to cover the costs for travel and accommodations.
Time: 1:00-5:00 PM
Location: Denver, Colorado