Posted: 10/8/2018 (Employment)
The Policy and Research Department is currently seeking a full-time Data Manager to lead internal data capacities including oversight of the agency’s Data Management Plan and use of administrative data to support research and evaluation projects as well as to manage external, cross-sector data sharing and data collaborations. This is a unique opportunity to support and expand data-driven decision-making at KCHA and to advance broader housing and social policy through innovative data applications.
- Lead the development and implementation of agency Data Management Plan that enhances KCHA’s ability to use administrative data for research and evaluation purposes and that upholds and evolves to be current with best practices in data management and application;
- Ensure that agency data systems support the collection of necessary metrics in a consistent and valid manner. This effort will include participating in database design working groups as well as identifying and expanding opportunities to collect new information from KCHA residents consistent with both research/evaluation questions and regulatory functions;
- Lead agency efforts to identify and develop best practices for data-sharing and data-handling activities, including compliance with regulations on data privacy and disclosure;
- Scope, institute, and manage cross-sector data collaborations with partners from health, education, and other sectors;
- Oversee the production of regular extracts or other data pulls (including data linkages) to support internal and external data use cases;
- Collect and analyze internal and external data (both qualitative and quantitative) to inform agency program and policy development and research and evaluation projects. Quantitative data analyses will include both descriptive and multivariate methods;
- Develop and oversee the development of data reports, data visualizations, and other briefing materials to effectively convey findings to intended stakeholders;
- Supervise analysts and/or interns responsible for data-related activities.
- Bachelor’s Degree with degrees preferred in public administration, public policy, statistics, sociology or related field AND four years of experience working with applied data/data management, research, and analysis. A graduate degree in relevant fields is desirable and may be substituted for up to two years of applied experience.
Ideal Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong technical skills, and demonstrated experience with quantitative data collection, management and analysis;
- Proven experience working with administrative datasets, including data sharing and data linkages;
- Ability and interest to lead, supervise, coach, mentor, and train assigned staff; willingness and ability to work collaboratively and cooperatively with others, as well as to participate in and foster teamwork;
- Strong critical thinking skills, an ability to introduce creative problem-solving to complex analytic puzzles, and the skills to translate these ideas to both technical and non-technical audiences;
- Outstanding Excel skills and strong proficiencies in other MS applications;
- Knowledge and skill in using analytic software programs such as Stata, Tableau, and/or GIS;
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills;
- Knowledge and ability in creating reports, dashboards, data visualizations, and other data summary and visualization materials;
- Strong project management skills including the ability to prioritize and handle multiple projects simultaneously and with multiple internal and external stakeholders;
- Knowledge of affordable housing policy and research and/or knowledge of related social policy arenas such as health, education, or other areas;
- Collaborative team player that is at ease working with multiple and diverse stakeholders and who brings enthusiasm, curiosity, humility, and humor to their work.
Location: King County Housing Authority, Policy and Research Department