Instructor of Geography
Posted: 2/16/2018 (Employment)
The Chabot-Las Positas Community College District is seeking an Instructor, Geography for Chabot College in Hayward, California.
This position reports directly to the Division Dean.
1. Teaching introductory college-level courses in Geography, including: Physical Geography, Human (Cultural) Geography, World Regional Geography, Physical Geography Laboratory, Introduction to Geographic Information Systems (GIS), Introduction to Weather and Climate
2. Developing new curriculum; revising programs in Geography where appropriate; writing/updating program reviews; updating course outlines and student learning outcomes; assessment of learning outcomes; adapting instructional techniques to various learning styles and abilities
3. Taking a leadership role in generating student interest in, and providing resources for, the Geography programs
4. Coordinating with division dean and administrative personnel in scheduling of classes and coordination of adjunct faculty in Geography
5. Ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written form, and commit to working successfully as a team member with other social science instructors and colleagues
6. Regularly conduct, record, and respond to student learning outcomes assessments
7. Participating in professional activities, meetings, and events, including shared governance committee membership
8. Ability to deliver instruction using current technologies in pedagogy and in Geography
9. Willingness to teach late afternoon, evening, weekend and/or off campus classes when scheduled as part of the regular teaching assignment
10. Evidence of sensitivity to and an understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, including those with physical and learning disabilities.
Minimum Education and Experience
Master’s in geography
Bachelor’s in geography
Master’s in geology, history, meteorology or oceanography
OR the equivalent
OR see Interdisciplinary Studies.
You will be required to upload your transcripts. You must upload all applicable transcripts, credentials and/or certificates required to meet minimum qualifications for the position for which you are applying. Any degrees earned outside the United States must have an official US evaluation (course by course) of the transcripts and must be submitted with the application. In the case that the file you are uploading is too large or you do not have your transcripts readily available, please upload a document in place of stating you will be sending the documents to the Office of Human Resources, 7600 Dublin Boulevard, 3rd Floor, Dublin, CA 94568, or by fax (925) 485-5254, by 5:00 p.m. (PST) on the closing date.
1. Experience in both classroom and distance education modes of instruction.
2. Experience with applications of remote sensing, geographic information systems (GIS) and global positioning systems (GPS), and in teaching the essentials of these technologies
3. Experience using multiple teaching strategies in a classroom setting
4. Interest in working with other faculty in developing new curriculum in the interdisciplinary Environmental Studies program, and in promoting its growth through coordination in scheduling course offerings and sharing Geography’s resources.
Visit the link below to learn more about the position.
Location: Chabot College