Michael Esposito, Christian Hess, Yuan Hsiao, Charles Lanfear, and Madison Leia Awarded CSDE’s Demographic Methods Certificate
Posted: 5/29/2018 (CSDE Awards)
We’re thrilled to announce that five students earned CSDE’s Demographic Methods Certificate in the 2017-18 academic year: Michael Esposito, Christian Hess, Yuan Hsiao, Charles Lanfear, and Madison Leia.
The CSDE Demographic Methods Graduate Certificate Program is the academic pathway to advanced population research at UW, with a curriculum that integrates a variety of disciplines and core demography, a professional development seminar series, a weekly research seminar, and opportunities for research collaboration with CSDE Faculty Affiliates.
Learn more about the 2018 Demographic Methods Certificate holders below:
- Michael Esposito will be receiving PhD in Sociology this summer and moving to Ann Arbor for a Postdoctoral Fellowship at University of Michigan’s Institute for Social Research’s Survey Research Center.
- Christian Hess is a doctoral student at UW’s Department of Sociology. His dissertation investigates the consequences of rising suburban poverty for continued racial and ethnic inequalities in neighborhood context, with empirical analyses that draw on Census data and the Panel Study of Income Dynamics.
- Yuan Hsiao was awarded a Fellowship at the Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research this summer. In addition to Sociology, he is expected to complete his Master’s Degree in Statistics in Spring 2019.
- Charles Lanfear is a doctoral student at UW’s Department of Sociology. His research explores how neighborhood social context and illicit opportunity structures influence the production and control of crime.
- Madison Leia graduated with an MA from UW’s Department of Sociology in Fall 2017. Her thesis was titled: Not So Black and White: The Association between Allostatic Load and Racial Residential Segregation in a Multi-Ethnic Cohort.
This milestone is the result of hard work and dedication. Come celebrate CSDE’s newest certificate holders this Friday at the End of Year Reception!