Research Program Specialist – Demographic Research Unit
Posted: 2/16/2018 (Employment)
The California Department of Finance is seeking qualified candidates to fill a research position in applied demography. The Demographic Research Unit serves as the State of California’s source of official, unbiased demographic data for planning and budgeting, and is the designated statewide liaison with the U.S. Census Bureau. The position is located in Sacramento.
The open position is within the state population estimates group, where the incumbent will participate in the production of state, county, and city population and housing projections. Responsibilities include data collection, modeling, and evaluation of results. The incumbent will design and conduct research projects with minimal supervision, contribute to ongoing research initiatives within the unit, and to keep up with relevant methodological innovations in population projections and in the measurement and modeling of mortality, fertility, and migration.
Experience with software packages for statistical analysis and data visualization are essential. Knowledge of population projection techniques or small area estimation methods is desirable. Individuals with strong analytical writing skills, attention to detail, and a passion for research are encouraged to apply.
– Postgraduate coursework or completed degree in demography, geography, sociology, economics, or a related field.
– Knowledge of demographic methods and their application.
– Ability to develop and use advanced statistical modeling techniques and appropriate software (e.g. Stata, SAS, R).
– At least two years’ experience in designing and conducting research projects.
– Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate complex issues to non-specialists through writing and speaking.
– Ability to exercise a high degree of initiative and independence of action.
– Ability to work on multiple projects and meet deadlines.
– Ability to develop and maintain effective cooperative working relationships.
The position will be vacant until filled. Applications will be screened as received and interviews will be scheduled on a flow basis.
WHO MAY APPLY
Current state employees at the Research Program Specialist II, those within transfer range, individuals who have list eligibility or eligible for a Training and Development assignment. Please indicate the basis of your eligibility (i.e. SROA, surplus, reemployment, reinstatement, transfer, or list eligible) in the Explanation box of the application. For more information on Minimum Qualifications, please visit the California Department of Human Resources (CalHR) website: http://www.calhr.ca.gov/state-hr-professionals/Pages/jobdescriptions.aspx
Follow link below to take the Research Program Specialist II Examination: https://www.calcareers.ca.gov/CalHrPublic/Exams/Bulletin.aspx
In order to be considered, you must provide the following:
– Current CV or resume
– Names and contact information of three references
– Writing sample (of any length). Coauthored writing samples should specify the nature of the candidate’s contribution.
– In addition, please provide a brief cover letter (one page) outlining why you are interested in this particular position and how your background, knowledge, skills, and abilities make you the ideal candidate for this position.
QUESTIONS ABOUT THE JOB: Ethan Sharygin (916) 323-4086 (916) 324-6547 TDD* E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
SEND APPLICATION TO: Department of Finance Human Resources Office Attn: Laura Ford 915 L Street, Suite 1235 Sacramento, CA 95814
Location: California Department of Finance